May 30, 2009

Monsieur Teste

Goethe, old soul, feels sorry to have no time for me. He shouldn't: he has a busy life and I don't really fit into it. Of course, this is how it is with all my would be friends: they have families and jobs and I do not; this means two things: first, they have a lot less time for me than I do for them. And, second, it also means that I have little to contribute to their lives: as a networking resource I am worse than useless: I can't ever help them find a nanny or introduce a client. So while a part of me wants to say that by not finding time for me they are missing something, the truth is -- they are not really missing anything important. What can possibly be important about discussing South Indian dance drama or the end of literature? The opposite is also true: my friends have little to say that I am interested in hearing. What interests me -- the end of literature, South Indian dance drama -- especially as they can be seen in each other's light -- well, my friends don't know the first thing about any of it, do they.

No comments: