Oct 6, 2008

The case of the hunchback's issue (with the owner of a straight back)

Honest conversations about important things are not possible. Take beauty: those who are disadvantaged in that area will deny that it has objective value and argue till they're blue in the face that it is socially constructed; why, they will even claim that it is somehow immoral (all those beautiful selfish people in TV dramas). And one can't very well tell them that it is important (and that therefore they are crucially handicapped) or that moral condemnation of beauty is vicious (and that therefore they are mean): one can't say these things and expect the acquaintance -- or even the conversation -- to last. It is like joking about domestic violence: such jokes are funny to me because I do not know domestic violence first hand; but I have lost friends for having most innocently told such jokes. It isn't so much that I was being indelicate (how on earth was I supposed to know about their papa and mama), but that they hold my health against me in the same way in which the ugly hold our beauty against us. In Polish one calls it the case of the hunchback's issue with the straight back.

No comments: