Nov 20, 2008

Not spending much time in intimate conversations

Not spending much time in intimate conversations with men -- men, I hear aren't good at it; but mainly I am not much interested in the internal states of men -- I come to some realizations late; like the one that men talking to each other about their significant others like to preface certain claims with "women...". For instance, "women illocute" or "women are obsessive about cleanliness", and such like. Usually the cognitive value of the claim is zero: having known a few women in my life I know that while some women might be like this (or that), many others are just the opposite. Generally speaking, men are ignorant about women; statistics say that an average man has 12 women in his life; these statistics probably lie (how can an average man have 12 women while an average woman has 5 men?); but even if they do not, most of these encounters don't seem to come with a lot of psychological insight. So men are left with the impression that all women are like the one they know. Just like my Asian friends think all of my countrymen are slim, balding, six-foot-eights with a talent for Asian languages.

No comments: