Jan 17, 2009

The women one fails to use

Then there are those women – more pleasant to get along with than sexually attractive – with whom I avoid sleeping because I hope that if I do, a friendship may arise and the association thus last longer than the usual few months followed by the unavoidable huff. Sadly, this does not work, either. Either they fail to understand my intentions (if I do not explain them) or fail to believe me (if I do) and in the end are disappointed and hurt all the same. Inevitably, sooner or later, there is a confrontation, things sour or cool, and even if they get better in time, they never return to the former closeness.

I am not sure whether Rochefoucauld says this, but he should: women appear to resent being used only marginally more than they resent not being used at all.

(Il semble de faire les femmes seulement un peu plus d'être exploité que de n'être pas exploité du tout? Er... even if it is right, it doesn't sound Rochefoucauldian enough).

No comments: