Mar 12, 2009

I repeat myself I repeat myself

Nehadeh has written to tell me of her new American friends, dashing, and, well, so very cool. I wrote back:

Your new circle of friends sounds wonderful -- like your high school circle friends regained. You were missing them, weren't you. Do they make you happy? Sounds like they do. If so, it is a good thing. I am glad to hear of it.

No such luck for me. Even less now than ever before. Thirty years of vast interdisciplinary reading in seven languages on three continents and - I am no longer able to have conversation with anyone who can hold my interest at all. My former blog once had a tribe of followers; i had to close it because they all bored me to death.

It would be damnably stuck up of me to say it, no doubt, if it weren't so -- well -- sad. Well, it isn't all that sad: one day, I am sure, I will learn to do without. Or, rather, no, not, that's not quite right: I do without quite well already. Rather, I should say: one day I will learn not to bother to write down what I think for any other purpose than to make a note to myself.


On a good day, I manage to convince myself I have learned that already.

No comments: